Re: external usb disk error

peter plessas wrote:
Hi List,

have been wrking on this for some days now...

i have an external (powered) usb disk (macpower icecube,200G), which i need to attach to my pismo running 2.6.11, Debian testing.

After connecting the drive to the computer, i see the partitions in /proc/partitions:

   8     0  195360984 sda
   8     1   32764536 sda1
   8     2   32764567 sda2
   8     3   32764567 sda3
   8     4   97064730 sda4

The first three partitions are FAT ones.

but as i try to mount them:

    mount /dev/sda1/ /mnt

i get:

 /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

and the partitions disappear from the /proc/partitions file, i have to power cycle the disk, and the whole thing starts again.

I had success mounting and using the disk on an x86 debian box.

I am able to mount my memory stick on the pismo.

Any help would be, oh so appreciated!

regards, Peter

logs:

dmesg at power up of device:

usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 14
usb-storage: device found at 14
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: SAMSUNG   Model: SP2014N           Rev: VC10
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 04
SCSI device sda: 390721968 512-byte hdwr sectors (200050 MB)
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sda: 390721968 512-byte hdwr sectors (200050 MB)
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 /dev/scsi/host3/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 p3 p4
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

dmesg after some time:

usb 2-1: grep timed out on ep0in
(5 more lines)
usb 2-1: cat timed out on ep0in
(3 more lines)

also:
usb 2-1: khubd timed out on ep0in
usb 2-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110

modules of interest:
lsmod(without snd modules, etc.):

sd_mod                 16400  0
ohci1394               38404  0
usb_storage            36512  0
ohci_hcd               24648  0
sbp2                   26064  0
scsi_mod              101308  3 sd_mod,usb_storage,sbp2
ieee1394              115688  2 ohci1394,sbp2
evdev                   9984  0
udf                    94020  0
binfmt_misc            11656  0
nfs                   239608  0
lockd                  70328  1 nfs
sunrpc                157448  2 nfs,lockd
ipip                   12072  0
xfrm4_tunnel            4964  1 ipip
usbhid                 41536  0
usbcore               131024  4 usb_storage,ohci_hcd,usbhid
sungem                 35780  0
sungem_phy              9568  1 sungem

I know for a fact that there is a problem with partitioned USB disks and a certain kernel configuration. I had a simillar problem with my iPod.

Long story made short: I used the ubuntu config as a starting point to make my own kernel that can mount partitions.

More info is on www.linuxquestions.org at the end of a thread called "ipod mini - usb on a SuSE system". Google for : "recompile the kernel and make sure u do this" to find the thread ( I haven't checked if Google returns results, but the forum supports searching ). The last 3 posts explain how to make the stuff work. If you need a config i will send you mine.

--
Regards,
EddyP