Re: Reverse engeneering the SMU (iMac G5, newer single-pro G5)

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 10:37 +0100, Francois wrote:
> Hello Franck,
>
> thanks a lot for your help proposal. Just to give you an idea of what I
> know and I don't: the last assembly programming I did was on a 8 bit Z80
> years ago (I guess I could reuse this knowledge today to program
> dishwasher and coffee machines :-). So far, I've worked my way through
> the ppc code I've looked at using Motorola's ppc manual [1].
>
> [1] http://www.freescale.com/files/product/doc/MPCFPE32B.pdf
>
> My hope was to get an idea of the structure of Apple's code (who is
> calling what etc). Maybe there is no real need for that, as, as you've
> said, symbol names are often clear enough to spot basic functions. What
> do you think?

Note that i've started doing work on the SMU driver yesterday as the
iMac G5 finally came back from Apple. I have the fan control pretty much
figured out, and I'm still working on figuring out the access to the
various sensors and i2c busses.

A call graph of Apple kext would still be useful tho, and if somebody
manage to figure out how to also get some sense into the c++ vtable
method calls (map them to method names), that would be awesome.

Ben.