Re: Compile errors patching 2.6.11 to 2.6.12-rc2

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:55:24 +1000
 Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
[snip]
Because I guess I cannot figure out which module handles the new Powerbook's SATA hard drive.

PowerBooks don't have SATA drives.

Right. I meant whatever that new ATA controller is. It occurred to me that I had misspoke as soon as I sent that message. I had a difficult time installing Debian due to lack of ATA 100 support in older methods until I just tried the Debian net install which worked perfectly.

See: http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/03/msg00553.html

In general, this reminds me that I want to also ask: what are the best ways to identify all one's hardware and to figure out which kernel modules go with them? I know how to do
lspci
lsusb
and to look at /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/messages
each of which provides good info on most of the hardware, but what else can I do to tune my kernel to exactly my hardware?

Brian

[snip]