Re: Recompile a driver, without recompiling the whole kernel

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

Hi All

Often I see patches for kernel drivers here: Is there a more or less
painless way to recompile a driver for some kernel/kernel sources,
without the need to recompile the whole kernel? ... The solutions I
googled so far don't look very promising ...

All I want is compiling the new driver and copy it to somewhere below
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/

Impossible desires?

Well, you're going to have to do a compile at least once.  And once you
don't clean the kernel tree, when you work on the driver, you should
just be able to recompile the driver, and move it over to /lib/modules.

This is from my (very limited) experience.

cheers
vinai