Re: sarge kernel frozen (2.4.27 and 2.6.8), and plans for post-sarge powerpc kernels.

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:13:31AM +0300, Eddy Petrisor wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> >Hello,
> >

> [..]
>
> >Plans on my part for 2.6 powerpc kernels are :
> >
> >  1) abandonement of the ppc32 power3 and power4 kernels in favour of ppc64
> >  variants.
> >

> mkay, this looks bad to my eyes.
> Does this mean that there is no more support for these variants in
> upstream, also? I have a PowerBook G4, so I would like to still have a
> kernel for it :(

No.

This only means that for 64bit powerpc processors (IBM power3 and beyond, and
G5), we will not build 32bit kernels anymore, since upstream developers have
little interest in these, you should really be using 64bit kernels, and the
only reason we have 32bit kernels for those in sarge is because we don't have
a biarch powerpc toolchain and glibc.

In any case, the powerpc (from 601 upto G4s, including a bunch of 'embedded'
like cpus) subarch will remain for those who need it.

> I don't think I have enough time to maintain an unofficial package for
> this arch. Nor do I have the skills necessary to hack into the ppc
> kernel code.
>
> Is there any chance someone might convince you to still maintain this
> subarch?

As you did misunderstood my intentions, i think this is a non-issue.

> >  2) migration to a common and single kernel package for all arches.
> >

> >Anything else needed for the powerpc post-sarge kernels, please comment
> >here.
> >

> Errr, can say once more :-) , please maintain also a powerpc G4 kernel!

There are currently 3 subarches in 2.6, powerpc, power3 and power4/G5, and
their smp variants. powerpc will stay a 32bit kernel while power3/4/G5 will
become 64bit kernels. So nothing to fear at all.

/me has 4 production powerpc machines here as well as two older machines, so
there is little chance i will drop support for them.

Friendly,

Sven Luther