Re: apt-build errors

On Apr 2, 2005 12:13 PM, David Pye <dmp@davidmpye.dyndns.org> wrote:
> The -mcpu isn't even appearing on the gcc command line.
>
> I suggest the format of apt-build.conf is double checked ;)
>
> > make[1]: Entering directory `/var/cache/apt-build/build/memstat-0.4'
> > cc -O2 -Wall    memstat.c   -o memstat
> > cc: 750: No such file or directory
> > make[1]: *** [memstat] Error 1

You were exactly right. I corrected the setting and was able to get
memstat to compile and install perfectly this time! Maybe now I can
learn what some of this means ;-)

For the record, here is my current apt-build.conf

---------------------------

build-dir = /var/cache/apt-build/build
repository-dir = /var/cache/apt-build/repository
Olevel = -O2
#mcpu = -mcpu=Medium
mcpu = -mcpu=740
options = " "
make_options = " "

----------------------------

The package-supplied setting of "Medium" makes no sense in any
context, I think. I noticed some of the bugs filed at the apt-build
bugtracker ask for things like automatic detection of the processor,
and for supplying sensible default optimizations for whatever
processor you choose. So obviously apt-build has a long way to go.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=pkg&data=apt-build&archive=no

BTW I found some more updated information at http://www.debtoo.org/
though just like all the other places, the information is exclusively
i386 oriented. The site includes an "apt-build howto," though
strangely it's in .rtf format.