Endless loop installing on a beige G3

I am trying to install woody on an old-world G3, using BootX.

I located the ramdisk-image on the install CD's, and it starts out
fine. The messages seem to be normal, but the last one before the GUI
starts says that grep uses an obsolete /proc/pci

Anyway I get the first language screen -- and I choose English, which
brings me to a second language screen on which I choose U.S., and I
return to the first language screen.

I had tried to make the boot floppies, only to find out that the
floppy drive  has died.

Any ideas,

tia,

Barry