Re: Linux PPC contest

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 09:23:43AM +1100, Cedric Pradalier wrote:
>> With so much talent on this list, this should be of interest!
>>
>> (from Slashdot...)  Robert MacFarlan writes: /"IBM is sponsoring a
>> Open Source developer contest for their Linux on POWER (Linux PPC
>> 64) effort. The contest <http://www.linuxonpower.com> [1]is
>> designed to award and showcase innovative new open source
>> applications that are designed or optimized specifically for Linux
>> running on the PPC architecture. The contest also awards ports of
>> existing applications from a predetermined list. Contest prizes
>> include Segway HTs, Apple Power Mac G5s, and cash awards. /"
>>
>> [1]: http://www.linuxonpower.com/
>
> Is it again US-only like the last time ?

No, it isn't that limited this time.

I find the the list of ports quite strange, I've looked at about 15
applications and all already worked fine on ppc32 and ppc64 (some
where just shell scripts!).

There are real challenges though: Anybody who manages to do "wine -
winelib (Client & Optimize Server)" deserves more than just a G5 :-)

        Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://blog.blackdown.de/