Re: Complie error while build cross compile toolchain for i386-linux

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, GONG Jie wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> I try to build a cross compile toolchain for i386-linux on my Apple PowerBook
> G4.  I get the debian package toolchain-source and follow the following
> instructions
> http://people.debian.org/~debacle/cross.html

 Now, I'm all in favour of taking the road less travelled, but you have
to remember that the number of people cross-building x86 is probably in
single figures, and most of them are probably using x86_64!  I've no
experience of these packages, but if you are _only_ building for i386
then you probably need to add something like --enable-multilib=no to
recent toolchain packages.

 The instructions you're following look a bit old, and not focussed on
what you are doing (they perhaps predate x86_64 coming in to general
use).  For the generalities of cross-building, googling for 'crosstool'
might help.  Building a cross-compile toolchain is initially painful
until you get your head around it, you'll probably find it easier to
adjust the options if you _don't_ use a package!

 Also, this is probably not the right list (although I don't know which
would be better), because your problem is not ppc-related.

Ken