G4 Xserve install problems

Hey all,

I'm trying to install Debian Sarge (or woody) on a G4 Xserve without
much luck. I've done some re-search and found i need to run the
installer via remote console (over serial). I've asked macosx-server
mailing list but they haven't told me much. The main problem I'm having is
the keyboard doesn't work when asking what language I want to install
with after i've booted off the CD. SO:

* IS it possible to install without remote serial console?
* Is there a sarge/woody/sid-xserve iso anywhere or?
* Does anyone know how i could go about setting up a remote serial
  console with open firmware etc etc?

Any docs / advice / info appreciated!
thanks,
~august