benefits of apt-build for powerpc?

'ello,

Recently my housemates have been compiling debian using a modified
apt-build that we made support distcc.  It is producing big speed-ups
(and space savings, which surprised me) on our x86 (athlon) boxen.  I
was wondering if I would see much benefit from doing the same for my
PBG4 -- I mean with x86 the i386 packages are a long way behind in terms
of instruction set.  Is this the same for PowerPC?

AFAIK the instruction set has not changed much over the years (relative
to x86).  I suppose the only noticeable benefit would come from AltiVec
optimisations and I'm wondering if this would make as big a difference
as the leap from i386 to k7 did.

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew@agrip.org.uk>