Playing CDs and using headphones

Hello,

When I insert a CD to play under Linux, I get no sound at all. Sound is
working as everything else has sound (gaim, DVD playing, even
simultaneous sound streams). What needs to be configured for CD playing
to work?

Also, when I run alsamixer, it shows headphones as off and headphones
detection as off. How do I switch them on?

Regards,
Wee-Jin

Wee-Jin Goh (Philip)
Department of Computing
School of Technology
Oxford Brookes University
Wheatley Campus
Oxford, OX33 1HX
United Kingdom
A life dedicated to things is a dead life, a stump; a God
shaped life is a flourishing tree -- Proverbs 11:28 (MSG)