Re: ibook system bus speed

On Thursday 10 March 2005 12:43, Christophe Branchereau wrote:
> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
>
> A quick look on google told me that the system bus speed of this model is
> 66MHz, as http://www.apple-history.com specifies.
>
> Isn't it degrading disk performances a lot?
> As the dma mode that was set to 16 Bits by default, for example.

Hmm..  interesting.  I've noticed that message on my x86 machine, but I never
spotted it on my iBook.  Turns out I have it too.  I would have expected the
powermac controller to recognise the ppc laptop models (at least) and to know
what they can handle.  Guess not :)

Here's what the kernel driver says on it (leaving out the x86-specific stuff):

"idebus=xx"  : inform IDE driver of VESA/PCI bus speed in MHz, where "xx" is
between 20 and 66 inclusive, used when tuning chipset PIO modes.  If in
doubt, use idebus=33 for PCI.  Bigger values are safer than smaller ones.

Problem is, it says nothing about what actually happens with different
values :(

Worth noting here that you should probably be aiming for DMA rather than PIO,
if your iBook can do DMA IDE transfers.

--
Lee.