usb_audio in 2.4?

Hi all-

Working on what I need to know to build a 2.6 kernel with ALSA drivers,
but in the meantime, I'm fiddling with the drivers included in the stock
Woody distro.

I had a question about the use of the USB audio driver.  When I
installed Woody, I selected both dmasound_pmac and usb_audio in modconf.
Currently, dma_sound is loaded before usb_audio.  If I have my USB audio
device turned on, dmesg returns the messages listed at the bottom of my
email.  dmasound works but USB audio doesn't.  This with an M-Audio
Quattro box...

Should I be loading only the USB driver and not both at once?

If so what's the best way to switch drivers?  modconf? modprobe?  I'd
like to be able to switch back and forth between Mac sound and the
Quattro box.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Charles Turner

= = = = = = = =

Linux version 2.4.18-newpmac (root@voltaire) (gcc version 2.95.4
20011002 (Debian prerelease)) #1 Thu Mar 14 22:44:49 EST 2002

. . .

i2c-core.o: i2c core module
dmasound_pmac: Awacs/Screamer Codec Mfct: 1 Rev 3
PowerMac Screamer  DMA sound driver rev 016 installed
Core driver edition 01.06 : PowerMac Built-in Sound driver edition 00.07
Write will use    4 fragments of   32768 bytes as default
Read  will use    4 fragments of   32768 bytes as default
usb.c: registered new driver audio
usbaudio: device 2 audiocontrol interface 0 has 1 input and 1 output
AudioStreaming interfaces
usbaudio: device 2 interface 2 altsetting 1 FORMAT_TYPE descriptor not
found
usbaudio: device 2 interface 1 altsetting 0 does not have an endpoint
usbaudio: device 2 interface 1 altsetting 1 FORMAT_TYPE descriptor not
found
usbaudio: constructing mixer for Terminal 6 type 0x0601
usbaudio: no mixer controls found for Terminal 6
usbaudio: constructing mixer for Terminal 2 type 0x0101
usbaudio: no mixer controls found for Terminal 2
usbaudio: device 2 audiocontrol interface 3 has 1 input and 1 output
AudioStreaming interfaces
usbaudio: device 2 interface 5 altsetting 1 unsupported channels 2
framesize 3
usbaudio: device 2 interface 5 altsetting 2 FORMAT_TYPE descriptor not
found
usbaudio: device 2 interface 5 altsetting 3 unsupported channels 2
framesize 3
usbaudio: device 2 interface 4 altsetting 0 does not have an endpoint
usbaudio: device 2 interface 4 altsetting 1 unsupported channels 2
framesize 3
usbaudio: device 2 interface 4 altsetting 2 FORMAT_TYPE descriptor not
found
usbaudio: device 2 interface 4 altsetting 3 unsupported channels 2
framesize 3
usbaudio: constructing mixer for Terminal 6 type 0x0601
usbaudio: no mixer controls found for Terminal 6
usbaudio: constructing mixer for Terminal 2 type 0x0101
usbaudio: no mixer controls found for Terminal 2
usbaudio: device 2 audiocontrol interface 6 has 1 input and 1 output
AudioStreaming interfaces
usbaudio: device 2 interface 8 altsetting 1 unsupported channels 2
framesize 3
usbaudio: device 2 interface 8 altsetting 2 FORMAT_TYPE descriptor not
found
usbaudio: device 2 interface 8 altsetting 3 unsupported channels 2
framesize 3
usbaudio: device 2 interface 7 altsetting 0 does not have an endpoint
usbaudio: device 2 interface 7 altsetting 1 unsupported channels 2
framesize 3
usbaudio: device 2 interface 7 altsetting 2 FORMAT_TYPE descriptor not
found
usbaudio: device 2 interface 7 altsetting 3 unsupported channels 2
framesize 3
usbaudio: constructing mixer for Terminal 8 type 0x0601
usbaudio: no mixer controls found for Terminal 8
usbaudio: constructing mixer for Terminal 4 type 0x0101
usbaudio: no mixer controls found for Terminal 4
audio.c: v1.0.0:USB Audio Class driver

<vze26m98@optonline.net>