Re: sorry, a bit more...

Hi all-

Finally got CUPS to work.  Embarrassed to say it was simply a matter of
using the correct driver, which I wasn't doing for quite a while.

Just to close the thread for any newbie in a similar spot:

Netcat was really useful in confirming I was talking to my LaserJet
correctly.

The CUPS troubleshooting FAQ <http://www.cups.org/cups-help.html>
explained debug mode for the error log, enabled me to see that CUPS
couldn't find a translator for the document format.

Somewhere I finally got confirmation that the LaserJet ppd downloaded
with CUPS is for a PCL, not postscript, printer.

The troubleshooting FAQ explained where the .ppd files should be
located, so if you have a working ppd for your printer, just put it in
/usr/share/cups/model.  No need to install foomatic.

Restart cupsys: /etc/init.d/cupsys restart.

Your ppd shows up in the web interface. You might want to go back to
info logging in the error log...

Best and thanks,

Charles

<vze26m98@optonline.net>