Re: Approaches to enabling scanning for AirPort (not Extreme)

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 04:38 PM, Barry Hawkins wrote:

> I applied this patch, and kismet seems to work now, but after using
> kismet my wifi card sometimes goes into a seizure.  During the kernel
> build, I noticed some warnings when the wireless drive was being
> compiled; the lines are attached to the end of this message.

I think that these are not airport-related problems, i've tried another
orinoco-based pcmcia card on my old i386 laptop and it suffered the same
problems. You can see that it's also impossible to stop channel hopping.

There are strange behaviors also without dragorn patch: sometimes i have
to set the Managed mode to connect to an Ad-Hoc network.

If you want to play seriously with wireless i think you should buy
another card based on a better supported chip.

> The
> PowerBook won't even shut down, it just closes X and goes to console
> mode printing a message I failed to write down message endlessly.  The
> next time it happens I'll write it down.

Try also to see if you have a process in uninterruptible sleep: i had
the same problem with kernel 2.6.10 + debian patches revision 2, but it
was totally unrelated from wireless.

> Also, I noticed that (prior to running kismet and the wifi freaking out)
> iwlist scanning does not work:
>
> $ sudo iwlist eth1 scanning
> eth1      Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported

IIRC this should be solved in CVS drivers.

luca

--
Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers.
			-- Leonard Brandwein

http://shammash.homelinux.org/ - http://www.artha.org/shammash/