graphical problem?

Hi all
I own an ibook G3 800MHz combo and have been experiencing problems lately.
Here is a summary of the events:

I got my logic board changed through the logic board extension program .I took
my ibook to repair because I had the backlight problem and they also changed
the logic board :-$

Ok, so when I had it back, everything worked as expected. Linux and Mac OS X.
So, I used linux for a couple of days and went to boot os x to see everything
worked. Then I let the system install some system updates (mac os x 10.2),
security stuff and other. Ok, so everything ok so far, as usual.

The problem arose when i went back to linux. yaboot booted normally and when
linux started booting showing the usual boot messages, the screen blanked. It
blanked completely because the screen have a red dead pixel which is usually
on, and then it turn to black.

Ok, I just thougt it was a temporary problem or a misconfiguration, and as my
intention was to repartition the HD to have a better partition scheme, I
reinstalled os x on a first partition (everything ok) and linux on the rest
(most of the HD).

Well, I still had the problem on booting the sarge installer. I fixed it using
video=ofonly, which led me to the text mode installation of the installer,
which let me install a minimal system on my mac.

But, if I install xfree and start it, I have the same symptoms. blank screen.
no recoverable (at least I don't know how), so I have to reboot to have the
text mode screen back. Dead pixel off and ibook running linux (I can ssh into
it).

I've been searching the list, and google, and have found this so far:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2004/09/msg00114.html
http://page.mi.fu-berlin.de/~nschulz/linux/trouble/ibook/

in which the problem is (as it looks like) that the driver doesn't read the
size of the screen properly:
> | Guessing panel info...
> | radeonfb: Assuming panel size 8x1

which is supposed to appear when you enable CONFIG_FB_RADEON_DEBUG on the
kernel (I haven't done this yet)

They propose a solution, which is a patch to the kernel but I haven't tested
it yet.

So, has anyone experienced this problem so far? Is there a solution guide or a
document in which this is described properly? or a kernel image I could test?

Anyway, my configs are located at http://roncero.org/ibook/ if anyone wants to
have a look at them.

I would highly appreciate any comments on this. Thank you all!

--
not now