Re: OldWorld almost dead no booting?

On Friday, January 21, 2005, at 04:23 PM, Mauricio Hernandez Z. wrote:

Rich Johnson (rjohnson@dogstar-interactive.com) wrote:

I've got a '98 G3/Wallstreet, that is _about_ to become a debian
machine. I've had similar problems between OS9/OSX dual booting, but I
never got to the bottom of it.

My WA guesses are that either the boot firmware is confused/corrupted,
or that the disk is corrupted.   Can you get boot from an OS9 install
CD?  That should get you to a point where you can examine the disk.

Nope. Blank/black screen only + the green/yellow light (eternally on). Not
even the typical sound of (re)booting.

The only hope I have so far is that I can access someone else's laptop and try
my HD instead of his, just to eliminate variables.

OK. So we have line-power on; no boot chime; black screen; and cannot boot an OS9 installation CD (or TechTools CD)

At the very least, resetting the PRAM should've wiped your OF settings and left you in a factory state; that is, a boot chime and either a sad mac or a no disk icon. If you get an _atypical_ boot chime--such as an auto crash; or breaking glass--it indicates that the hardware diagnostics failed.

If you don't get that far, I'm afraid I'm of little help.

I suppose it's _possible_ that something happened to the LCD (or video cable); but I'm afraid I'm of little help in that department.