Re: G3/300, OS X and Darwin..

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:42:51 -0700
Mauro <mcepeda@ualberta.ca> wrote:

> I think what you're looking for to install debian onto an old world
> without MacOS is quick or miboot.
> I hear they are real buggers to install and one of them can screw your
> system up rendering even your mother board useless.

this is FUD. Quik may be a bit tricky to configure correctly, especially
on beige G3s, but your motherboard is safe.

> Thus this is why a lot of people opt to install MacOS.  I know that
> classic installs can be realy small, less than 5 gig while OS X has a
> min of 5 (something like that).  If I remember clasic can install onto
> 1.

150 Megs should be more than enough for an OS8 install with BootX, if
you don't want to go through the trouble configuring quik. Anyway,
several people succeeded in booting a G3 with quik -- you might want to
check the list archives for some successful reports.

> Because it's very dependent on Open Firmware, and because the Open
> Firmware on Old World Macintosh is very buggy and difficult to work
> with, much of the information on this page describes how to work
> around firmware problems."http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/quik/

This is indeed a good link to start

Simon
--

Simon Vallet
Due to massive spam, the address shown in the From: header