Re: powerbook startup problem - folder with a question mark ???

>   I have a powerbook g4 550 running all the time Debian unstable with
> kernel 2.6.8-powerpc and OSX sometimes, mainly for spike.
>
>   For the last week or so, when I start the machine instead of having
> the yaboot screen appears I get a little folder with a question mark
> inside...  This doesn't happen every time I start the machine.
>
>   When it happened the first time, I booted with a debian bootable
> install cd and the hard drive was not recognized.  (???)  I booted
> with the Apple Hardware Test, run all the tests and it didn't find any
> problems.  I waited a couples of hours and then the machine booted
> fine. ?????
>
>   I have been trying to identify a pattern but no chance.  I use my
> laptop everyday and the problem never occurred in the morning at
> startup.  So far, I had the problem almost systematically after I
> leave work and then go to some place and boot the machine.  Note that
> I always do a clean shutdown.  I then wait a couple of hours and then
> it boot fine.
>
>   What could it be, firmware? hard drive?  Is there any software to
> test the machine?

This is just a guess, but you might want to check, from within OS X that
your machine is not trying to boot off a network device (this is in the
"Startup Disk" pane in "System Preferences".  Just make sure the boot
device is your yaboot partition ...

vinai