Right, so compiling my own kernel has b0rked my iMac. (was Help compiling a kernel for iMac rev B)

Where's the microwave...

I compiled and installed my kernel as specified in www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm, and that seemed to go just fine, I checked /etc/yaboot.conf and it appeared to have all the necessary elements added to boot both the new kernel (as 'linux') and the original kernel (as 'old') so I ran ybin and rebooted.

On boot, whether I select the linux image or the old image, I get the following (I believe this is an OpenFirmware message):

/pci@80000000/mac-io@10/ide@20000/disk@0:4,/boot/initrd.img:No such file or directory (initrd.img.old if I try to boot the old kernel).

Those files are there in /boot, they're symlinks to the relative initrd images used for each kernel. I used the .config file from the stock 2.6.8 Debian kernel which was running correctly before, so AFAIK it's not that the filesystem isn't compiled into the kernel (at least it shouldn't be).

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can rescue this iMac? And subsequently figure out what went wrong?

Chris

--
As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life - so I became a scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
~ M. Cartmill