Re: Last ditch on PlanB driver

Le ven 2005-01-14 a 15:53:28 -0500, Sean Jewett <sean@rimboy.com> a dit:

> Has anyone managed to get the planb driver to work (or better yet, with
> the v4l stuff)?  If so, how?  What kernel, what distro, what phase of the
> moon?
>
> I have beat my head with Debian and now Yellow Dog to no avail.  My last
> ditch effort was to install YDL 2.3 and then install the RPM's Michel
> offers on his website:
>
> http://www.cpu.lu/~mlan/planb.html
>
> I patched the 2.4.18 kernel with the patch he offers above that.  Either
> 2.4.18 does not work with that RPM (in which case, it might be nice to

why are you bothering with 2.4.18? FYI, the kernel stuff on that site
is ancient history.

> know) and only works with the 2.2's he offers, or I can only conclude this
> is a cruel joke.  I'm seeing the same thing with the xawtv RPM and 2.4.18
> kernel that I saw under Debian, that being this error:

the driver isn't even present in 2.6. hasn't been ported. it's been
neglected for i don't know how long.

i emailed mich a while back - when 2.6. was still -test - i can't
quite remmeber all he said, as i've lost the email convo, but he said
something about a lack of motivation, or ack of time, not sure which.
you can email him about it if you like.

> ioctl: VIDIOCSCHAN(0,Composite,flags=0x0,type=2,norm=3): Invalid argument

means the kernel didn't grok the attempt at doing something involving
it. either the driver isn't cooperating, or the source you fetched
doesn't work.

one more thing: this is a debian list, not a YDL one ;).