Re: 43p-140 install issues

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 13:44, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 11:17:03AM +0100, Philippe Guyot wrote:
> > On Tuesday 11 January 2005 18:09, Sven Luther wrote:
> >
> > [snip]

> > > Yes, but d-i uses the devfs path, so it would be /dev/scsi/... See the
> > > /proc/partitions content for a list of it. I have a burtal
> > > prep-installer who does this, I didn't yet check the partman-prep
> > > stuff, since strangely it doesn't work for me.
> >
> > I'm sorry but I need some help here (thanks in advance):
> >
> > 1)  /proc/partitions contains:
> >
> > sda
> > sda1
> > sda2
> > sda3
>
> Ah, yes, this is the 2.6 kernel.
>
> > 2) when lauching parted on a secondary console, it says
> >
> > blablabla...  Using /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc
> > I suppose this is a "devfs path"
>
> Yep.
>
> > So, looking in /dev/scsi/......./lun0, I found
> >
> > disc
>
> The whole disk.
>
> > part1
> > part2
> > part3
>
> All three partitions.
>
> > So have I to dd if=vmlinux of=/dev/scsi/....../lun0/part1  ??

> Yep.

dd if=/target/boot/vmlinux of=/dev/scsi/..../lun0/part1

begins to write on disk then : "dd : of=/dev/...." Input/Output error.

I dumped the very first of .../lun0/part1, there is an ELF header and a lot of
binary following.

and the machine doesn't boot. Because of that error I think.

part1 is 8.2 MB and vmlinux about 4.

parted shows the part as prep boot.

> > What I made first last evening was (after chroot on /target )
> > dd if=vmlinux of=/dev/sda1
> > with apparently no error (except that the machine is not booting). What
> > did happened then ?Isn't there a kind of compatibility ?
>
> It copied the kernel to the /dev/sda1 file. since devfs created /dev nodes
> on demand, it was not present, thus dd did not complain.

OK I understand that.

> > > Well, the default kernel is set to /dev/sda3 already. Problem is that
> > > it seems the preptools need a kernel patch which we don't have, i have
> > > to investigate this. But as long as you chose the / partition to be
> > > partition 3, it should be ok.
> >
> > I made / the 3rd partition, yes.
>
> Cool, you don't need any preptool massaging then.

I tried also boot net then load : ....console=tty0 noinitrd, hoping it was
able to find root as /dev/sda3 which exists now but always the same:

cannot open root device "<NULL>...."

if load: ... root=/dev/sda3 we have

cannot open root device "sda3..."

just for fun load= ... root=/dev/scsi/.../part3 all the same

 Friendly,

Felipe