Re: 43p-140 install issues

On Jan 5, 2005, at 5:47 AM, Sven Luther wrote:

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:49:19AM +0100, Philippe Guyot wrote:
BTW, i have another question. I am trying to fix debian-installer to create the prep partition, but i would like to have some info on the expected constraints of said partition. Some tell it has to be entirely in the first 8MB, others the first 5MB, and my powerstack has a 17MB boot partition
right now.

All I can say, it's that my boot PReP partition is the 1st and about 4 MB in
size (cannot size it less than 1% of the disk.....)
second partition is /
third is swap.

BTW, for debian, it makes more sense to have the second partition as swap, and the third as /, i think, since it was decided some time back to default to
root=/dev/sda3, and not sda2.

That works for me.

Until the kernel grows beyond 4MB.

The size of that partition depends on firmware limitations. I have definitely seen reports of systems not booting when the PReP boot partition was too large. I think on some systems that has even happened at 8MB.

In other words, should you need more space than 4-5MB at some point in the future, you cannot simply make a bigger boot partition.

-Hollis