Re: PowerPC desktop -- asking for trouble?

shyamal wrote:

> After running Linux for nearly 11 years on x86 I finally jumped to
> powerpc last month when my AMD motherboard fritzed....
>
>      Igor> Lastly, If I get a G5 PowerMac, will I be able to unstall
>      Igor> Debian on it (unstable is fine)? Is there any crucial
>      Igor> hardware that still doesn't have Linux drivers?
>
> I bought (rather, my S.O. bought it for me :-) a G5 PowerMac (Dual 2.0
> Ghz) and Debian will now install on it with a recent d-i build (Jan 1,
> 2005 onwards I suppose). For me it was an adventure, but it should
> work out of the box now.
>
> I don't believe sound support is available (Debian or upstream
> kernels). But it is a matter of time and effort: Apple's Darwin OS is
> open source so drivers can always be built from there by some with the
> skills to do so. There also seems to be some issue with the
> accelerated graphics support, but I don't need that stuff so I'm not
> sure.

That's good to know. I think I'll hold my plans for a bit until I hear
more about sound support. Are there other things that you've found
missing on the G5 compared to the x86 platform?

Overall, would you rate your switch as a positive thing?

Thanks.

Igor

P.S.: Please CC.