ARTS sound problem on G4 Albook

Hi all,

I've got a G4 1GHz 14" Albook, and an ongoing arts problem.

I'm running Debian Unstable.

The system uses alsa, and has the following modules loaded:
#lsmod | grep snd

snd_seq_oss            41844  0
snd_seq_device          9928  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq_midi_event      8928  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                64668  4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_powermac           44304  2
snd_pcm_oss            68136  0
snd_pcm               119800  3 snd_powermac,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              29348  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss          23264  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc         13480  1 snd_pcm

When I play sounds with alsa, e.g. ogg123 -d alsa  everything plays fine.

But not arts, oh no ;)

When starting arts, you get this:
dmp@aluminium:~/music$ artsd
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:563:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken
pipe
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:563:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken
pipe

I've tried every possible setting in Kontrol center, same each time.

When you start playing an audio file with arts, you get about 0.5 seconds of
audio, and then it screeches, and turns into loud white noise.

I've had it for a very long time, but it's got to the point that it's annoyed
me sufficiently, and I have time to deal with it.

Any suggestions? :)

David