Re: Keyboard locked to uppercase

According to Kevin B. McCarty, on Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:39:20 -0500,
>Michael Dänzer wrote:
>
>> Sometimes, a key gets 'stuck', I don't know if this is a hardware or
>> software issue. The trick is to find the key and press it again.
>> Sounds like in your case it may have been fn-Shift (i.e. right
>> Shift), which would be particularly tricky.
>
>Hi Michael,
>
>Do you know any more details about this, by any chance?  I sometimes
>have this problem under X, but only with the arrow keys.  (I'm using an
>iBook G3, running sid, with kernel 2.6.8.)  Occasionally I can't get the
>problematic arrow key to switch off, in which case I find that switching
>to a virtual console and then back to X fixes things.

I also had this problem some times, mainly when playing. Repressing the arrow key makes it
switch off. It seems to me that somebody (kernel?) just missed the key released event. So
repressing it, regenerates this event which always solved the problems.

You just have to be fast enough not to loose a life ;)

>An apparently related issue I see is that sometimes, when holding an
>arrow key down, somewhere in the chain from hardware to software some
>keypress events don't get converted properly, so I end up with some
>numeric gibberish like "444444444" inserted somewhere random.

I can confirm that.

--
Cedric Pradalier