Re: 'wireless-tools' or/and 'linux-wlan-ng' / modprobe.d

Hi,

> Now my question: After some internet research I am aware of the two
> packages 'wireless-tools' and 'linux-wlan-ng'. Are these two packages
> 'for the same thing' or fulfil these two packages different things?

They are different. the card you bought works fine with linux-wlan-ng
driver. wireless-tools provide some programs (e.g. iwlist and
iwconfig) which may partly work with linux-wlan-ng driver, but is
intended to use with orinoco based cards (and maybe others). I used
wireless tools for a pcmcia and orinoco based system and now i use
linux-wireless.org for the dwl-122 usb.

> BTW:
> I have learned, that systems using kernels newer than 2.6.x do not use
> modutils (and modules.conf) but module-init-tools and modprobe.d (and
> optional modprobe.conf). How do I create module aliases, now?

module aliases are done in /etc/modprobe.d/ directory. e.g. a file
wlan has to contain
--snip
alias wlan0 prism2_usb
options prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1
--snap
but i think to remember that ist written in the linux-wlan-ng README.

I hope this helps,
cheers, Joerg

--
GnuPG Key and Fingerprint : http://www.shove-it.de/meinweb/joergpubkey03
GnuPG Key : gpg --keyserver www.keyserver.net --recv-key 76ECD5A7

Hi
I am a signature virus.
Please copy me to your .signature file to help me spread.