Re: Linear aperture not available

On Dec 9, 2004, at 3:24 AM, Michael Schmitz wrote:

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 12:42 -0500, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:
xdm fails to start up, giving the error "Linear aperture not available"
What is the significance of this message?

Weird ... using the X mach64 driver right ? The linear aperture should
be perfectly available on PCI ...

Might this be a case of MacOS (assuming BootX boot because of OldWorld
here) messing up the PCI resource config for the card? What kernel version
did first have the PCI allocation fixup?

	Michael

Boot was using quik (sp?) - no Mac OS on the disk, although there is another disk on the bus that has OS9.1.

But...hold everything! The system crashed AGAIN, and this time I tested all blocks before reformatting. Lo and behold, I got a whole sequence of bad blocks! Must have had a head crash somewhere along the line. Am reformatting, mapping out the bad blocks, and reinstalling. Stay tuned...

Thanks,

Dan Killoran