Re: USB wireless 802.11g dongle

Le mercredi 08 décembre 2004 à 09:15 +0100, Colin Leroy a écrit :
> On 08 Dec 2004 at 08h12, Julien PERVILLE wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > the linux support is not to be seen on the website, not advertised
> > anywhere. you have to KNOW that the adapter is linux supported and do
> > a search in the support section.... googling for the model number or
> > the chipset doesnot help at all to know that this adapter has GPL
> > drivers which should be a hot selling point to me.... you only know it
> > because you know it... and you are willing to experiment.
>
> You can do other people a favour and register it on
> http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/ if you have its USB id :)

i do not have one, i looked it up when i see the product on this list. i
looked up the driver see how it looked. i wasnt expecting it to be GPL,
so this was a pretty good news. but i was very disappointed when i seen
the inside of the driver. it just feels unpolished...

i'm going for the D-Link DWL-122 myself.

for the driver for the 802.11g we're talking about (zd1211 chipset),
they are compatible with the standard wireless tools (iwconfig...),
which is a good thing.

i don't know if i should buy one to do a gesture. the driver needs so
much work and testing... sure this is GPL so maybe one day we'll have a
correct driver. look on google some, for a driver released may 2004, it
has been more than 6 months now and i cannot find any report of a linux
user using it at all. they need to publicise it. and to keep it up to
date.

look http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&q=zd1211+linux&btnG=Recherche
+Google&meta=

keywords : zd1211 (name of chipset) and linux
results : 52

the only experiences we have are people using driverloader, ndiswrapper.
not a word of anyone using the (native) GPL driver.
oh yes, the only person actually talking about native linux drivers says
"Well my quest for zd1211 drivers has run dry"...

if there is a GPL driver, wouldn't they publicize it? and if the driver
works for all adapters based on this chipset, why is only
"planet.com.tw" the only one offering it (and you really have to know it
exists to find it). is this adapter the only one on this chipset?

Julien

--
Julien PERVILLE <julien.perville@free.fr>