Re: debian ppc64

On 04-Dec-02 16:46, Rafael ?vila de Esp?ndola wrote:
> Hi, I have done some work on porting debian to the powerpc64. The original
> post:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/10/msg00193.html
>
> I also made some bug reports to add support for the powerpc architecture. One
> missing is the one against dpkg
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=263743). Who is the
> "powerpc64 port team"? What is the correct name of the architecture?

I do not know anything about an official 'powerpc64 port team'. Since
you did some work for powerpc64, perhaps you are the 'powerpc64 port team'
or at least part of it yourself? I have applied for a 'debian-ppc64'
project on alioth which now hosts an experimental ppc64 package archive
and I hope others will contribute and help to create a complete Debian
port with a kernel, an installer and (almost) all Debian packages for
the ppc64 architecture. Currently, this experimental archive has about
50% of the packages from Debian unstable compiled and it is possible to
debootstrap a ppc64 chroot environment from it following the
instructions in http://debian-ppc64.alioth.debian.org/READ_ME.

In principle, Debian can choose any name for the port as long as the
necessary translations are provided in the appropriate places.
The kernel uses the name 'ppc64' for the architecture while gcc uses
'powerpc64-linux'. The Linux Standard Base 2.0 specifies 'ppc64' as the
packaging name and I think it would make sense to follow the LSB here.

> I see that you need a kernel. Maybe this helps:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/07/msg00449.html
>
> Good luck with the port. Is there a malling list?

Thanks. There is no mailing list yet. Your mail is the first one I got
regarding the ppc64 port. If there is sufficient demand,
someone should apply for a debian-ppc64 mailing list, I guess.

Regards
Andreas Jochens