Strange high frequency whistle from time to time on G4 (sid)

Hi

I first raised this last January incidental to a problem I was having
playing CDs (resolved).

It only happens occasionally, persists through a number of reboots and
then strangely dissappears.  I upgrade almost daily and it may be
related to conflicts in the upgraded system that eventually are
resolved.

It doesn't bug me unduly (at least not as much as my partner in the same
room) but in the pursuit of enlightenment, I would be grateful for some
pointers on diagnosis and possible resolution.

I'm using OSS 1.2.10 sound driver and xmms 1.2.10-1.3 primarily (xine
occasionally); I have the usual kernel modules:
soundcore
dmasound_core
dmasound_pmac

Regards