Re: installing debian on IBM 43P-150 (CHRP)

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 14:25, Leigh Brown wrote:
> Philippe Guyot said:
> > After searching the archives, I found from Sven Luther that
> >
> > 1) diskette is not supported now on chrp-rs6k boxes.
> > 2) shoul be ok whith cdrom from sarge-powerpc-netinst.iso
> >
> > So I made the cdrom and tried to boot via open firmware.
> >
> > I suppose I must launch yaboot then I typed
> >
> > boot cdrom;:\install\yaboot
> >
> > and after accessing the CD, the box booted AIX from the hd!
> >
> > should I try to boot directly vmlinux ????
> >
> > thanks for a pointer in the right direction.
> >
> > BTW, I am able to boot AIX install CDrom from OF (boot
> > cdrom;:\ppc\chrp\bootfile.exe.....)
>
> You can't boot from the CD's because they haven't been built to
> work on AIX firmware.  To work on AIX firmware, they require
> the -U option to be specified in the mkisofs command.
>
> I don't know if you have broadband, but if so, I have respun
> the latest sarge powerpc business card cd, so that it should
> boot correctly (and automatically).  I would be grateful if
> you could give it a whirl.  It's here:
>
> http://www.solinno.co.uk/leigh/sarge-powerpc-bc-lbb.iso
>
> If it fails to boot automatically, please try the manual boot
> command from the OF prompt, both with yaboot and the powerpc
> vmlinuz-chrp.initrd.  I've also patched the vmlinuz-chrp.initrd
> files to work around the claim failed error.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Leigh.

This is the whirl expected:

Automatic boot: black screen and automatic reboot of the box.

Manual boot:

I had a look on the cdrom and found in \ppc a bootinfo.txt saying the script
was \ppc\chrp\yaboot, just similar to what I have seen on the AIX CDrom.
(bootfile.exe in lieu of yaboot).

So boot cdrom;:\ppc\chrp\yaboot gives me:

unexpected firmware error
default catch code ff00300
$RR0 00c1b030
$RR1 00003030

and back to the OF prompt.

I suppose in automatic mode this leads to a complete reboot of the machine,
just as observed.

I founded in /install/powerpc a vmlinuz-chrp.initrd dated today.
I supposed it is the patched one.

So boot:;\install\powerpc\vmlinuz-chrp.initrd

"Unable to use memory at load-base"

printenv load_base   4000

Just a question more: don't whe have to find a yaboot.conf in \ppc\chrp if it
is the directory from which we intend to launch yaboot ?