KDE Blues

Hi all,
I hope this is the correct list for this.  If not,
please advise.
I have just loaded woody 2.4.18-newpmac on an older
G4.  Runs great from the command line.  When I run
'startx' the KDE splash screen comes
on, I have a mouse, then it fails back to the command
line.
The only EE line from XFree86.0.log is:
(EE) R128(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling
DRI.
The tail end of XFree86.0.log is:
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension LBX
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file
Roman_M
(II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy
driver
(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(==) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
(**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons,
Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured
Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

By the way, the G4 has an ATI Rage 128 and is
connected to the monitor and mouse via a KVM switch
into a USB port.

Thanks for any ideas!

Andy