Re: Mac Can't Browse With Netatalk

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:58:43 -0500
Jacob S <stormspotter@6Texans.net> wrote:

> This question involves Debian on my x86 machine and an oldword B&W G3
> running Mac OS (8.6), but I figured people on this list would be more
> knowledgeable about netatalk than the other Debian lists.
>
> After installing netatalk via apt-get on my Sarge machine, I created a
> share in /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default with the following syntax:
> /share/path/ "Share Name" allow:@group
>
> Alternatively, I've also tried:
> /share/path/ "Share Name" allow:user
>
> With both of them, the user can login fine through Chooser -
> AppleShare and can see the share and mount it, but when they try to
> browse the share they don't see any directories or files. That same
> user logged into the Debian machine locally can read all the files and
> directories just fine.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong? I've read the comments in
> AppleVolumes.default, as well as the other files in /etc/netatalk, but
> I can't find anything that would seem to make a difference.

Thanks to the help of another debian-powerpc user off-list, I've got
this problem fixed.

The problem was with permissions, as are so many of these types of
problems. I had a directory where all the user directories were stored.
The main directory containing all the user sub-dirs is what I exported,
rather than each user directory - as we share files among users alot.
So, even though all user dirs had adequate permissions, the directory
containing the user directories was 755, preventing netatalk from
creating the.AppleDB directory it needed. After doing a chmod -R to
correct this, everything is working as advertised again.

Jacob