Re: X keyboard problem

> I helped a local school set up a Linux computer lab. The setup uses X-
> terminals (netboot, NFS and all that stuff) on Debian unstable.
> Everything seems to work perfectly but for one "small" problem -
> changing keyboard layouts simply doesn't work. Well - in fact even the
> layout specified in XF86Config-4 doesn't work and it falls back to US. I
> know nothing about debugging X down at the protocol level, so I will
> give you a bunch of symptoms in case somebody can help:

Are these running on PPC? Even if they are, you might have more luck on the X
or Gnome lists (http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/ or
http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/).

That said ...

> * if you issue a command like "setxkbmap us" you only get an error
> (Error loading keyboard description)

What do you get from `setkxbmap -print` ?

> * if you pipe the output to xkbcomp like this:
>  "setxkbmap -print us | xkbcomp - 192.168.0.222:0"
> it works...

You say above that the keyboard is a US map. What map do you want? And does it
work like this:  `setxkbmap -print us | xkbcomp - :0` ?

> * On the client (X server) side, xkbcomp seems to work on its own
> * "xmodmap xmodmap /usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.ee" also works

Yeah, xmodmap is totally different. It'd be better to get XKB working.

> * As the school uses the GNOME desktop, they also get a bunch of errors
> from gnome-settings-daemon that tries to change the keyboard layout
> according to some gconf keys. As I understand, GNOME does not use
> setxkbmap and friends, but goes through it's own libxklavier library.

There are some bugs with xklavier, especially with X terminals. From one of
the X terminals, can you see /etc/X11/xkb? If not, this is the cause of your
troubles. What makes it hard is that there is almost no logging XKB problems
from within X.

Frank