airport and encryption

I have been setting up my wireless using apples airport.  So far I have
been able to access the base station with an open network but when I try
to access with a close network and 40bit encryption I am locked out.

in the /etc/network/interfaces
	wireless_essid net-name
	wireless_key s:password xxxxx

but when I do restart the network interfaces I get this error

#  /etc/init.d/networking restart
Setting up IP spoofing protection: rp_filter.
Reconfiguring network interfaces...Error : unrecognised wireless request
"xxxxx"
done.

I am at a loss to access a close protected airport base station.  I did
a man iwconfig to learn how to use the password.  Does anyone have any
good sujestions?

-Adam