adduser, useradd: are there any differences

Hello

I am going to configure clamav on my debian system. the documentation of
clamav suggest to create a new user and group and shows the commmands to do
that (http://www.clamav.net/doc/0.75.1/html/node12.html)

	# groupadd clamav
	# useradd -g clamav -s /bin/false -c "Clam AntiVirus" clamav

In debian I normally use the commands 'adduser' and 'addgroup' (I didn't know
the commands 'useradd' and 'groupadd'). Are 'adduser' and 'addgroup' debian
synonyms for 'useradd' and 'groupadd'?  I checked the manpages and I have the
feeling they are synonyms. So can I replace in the above mentioned commands
groupadd and useradd with addgroup and adduser respectivelly?

kind regards, Roland
rowe_gnu@gmx.net