Re: 802.11g on an ibook?

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 10:02:50AM +0000, Michael Rex wrote:

> The DWL-122 does just 802.11b AFAIK.

my mistake. you're right. only 802.11b

> I've been looking for ways to get WLAN working under Linux on my iBook
> G4, since Airport Extreme isn't supported an USB stick seems to be the
> best solution. But I haven't found much information on how well USB WLAN
> sticks work with Linux, especially with 2.6 kernels. It seems that
> linux-wlan-ng provides some drivers, but I'm not sure that it will work
> with 2.6, since all HOWTOs dealing with USB WLAN refer only to 2.4
> kernels. Is there someone who uses an USW WLAN stick with 2.6?

linux-wlan-ng works great with the dwl-122, debian unstable, and
2.6.3-benh2 (and presumably any recent 2.6 kernel.org kernel).  Had
some problems on yellowdog but they went away when we upgraded the
hotplug scripts.

Just make sure to read the whole README.... I missed some important
wlanctl-ng commands, causing me some frustration when things
apparently didn't work :>

==rob
--
Rob Latham                                        Chicago, IL USA