Re: iBook 800Mhz G3 fan on a lot

According to Rory Campbell-Lange, on Tue, 25 May 2004 13:50:06 +0100,
>My new G3 800Mhz has the fan on a lot (and seems pretty hot under my
>left hand). Is this normal? When I'm working late the noise is quite
>distracting in a quiet room

First, I would suggest using cpufreqd, for scaling down to 400MHz when
you don't need full power. I can send you a working config if needed.
cpudynd does not seem necessary.

Second, the fan control chip may be initialized with too low thresholds
(on my G3, they are too high).
I have a kernel patch to access it and I need testers to make it
included in the kernel :o). So if you mind... have a look at
http://cedric.pradalier.free.fr/ibook2/index.html
and report !

It adds a module adm103x which gives you a way to set fan starting
temps, and to monitor real temperatures (about 50 Celcius in general).

--
Cedric

"[Of course] I'm French! Why do think I have this outrageous
accent, you silly king-a?!"  Monty Python and the Holy Grail