startx problems on Umax S900

On about the last seven installs of woody that I've done on my Umax S900 I
have been unsuccsessfull in starting the x-window-system.  The startx
command consistently returns the error (the following is just the last few
lines of text given to me, not the whole log file):
(II) Module xaa: vendor="The Xfree86 Project"
         compiled for 4.1.0.1, module version = 1.0.0
(==) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
FBIOPUT_USCREENINFO: Invalid argument

Fatal server error:
AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

Any ideas?  I'm certain that I'm setting up the busID properly as the lspci
command says my graphics card (a twin turbo) is in PCI:00:0d:00 and
according to my understanding of hexadecimal that would translate to
PCI:00:13:00  right.  It looks like I may be incorrect in choosing 24 bit
graphics though?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

-Eric