Performance problems with DRI on R128

I'm having serious performance problems with DRI on the R128 in a G4
Cube using kernel 2.6 and unstable.  I can quite happly run without DRI
enabled, getting acceptable performance (obviously with no 3D
acceleration) but as soon as I enable the DRI module the CPU usage of
the X server goes sky high, rendering interactive performance completely
unacceptable even for 2D things, never mind anything 3D related.

Looking at the server log everything seems normal during startup but
there is a profusion of "(EE) R128(0): Idle timed out, resetting
engine..." messages towards the end of the log.

Does anyone have any ideas where I should be looking to try to fix this?