Sites don't let me in, because my system is non-MS -- Solution? [was: Re: Linux vs Mac OS 10.3(Panther)]

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 09:49, Ole-Egil Hvitmyren wrote:
> Cedric Pradalier wrote:
> > According to Albert Cahalan, on 13 May 2004 11:31:39 -0400,

> >>So you can just point your web browser at a popular
> >>news site and watch the video clips?
> >>
> >>http://www.cnn.com/
> >>http://www.msnbc.com/
> >>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/default.stm
> >>
> >>Skip-free full-screen video from an encrypted DVD too?
> >>
> >>I'd especially love a solution that was solid enough
> >>that I didn't have to worry about software upgrades
> >>breaking it.
> >>

> > Also, the realplayer 8 is distributed for most ppc linux architecture.
> > It does not work as a plugin, but if you look at the web page source in
> > firefox, you can fetch the media address and feed it to the player.
> >

> And since mplayer can use the realplayer 8 libraries I wouldn't be
> surprised if mplayer-plugin could indeed be used as realplayer plugin ;-)
>
> I didn't try CNN, because then I need to "sign up here for a 14 day free
> trial", MSNBC told me that "MSN Video requires Microsoft Windows® 98,
> Windows ME, Windows 2000, or Windows XP." (very likely it doesn't, but
> they're refusing to show their video content to anyone not using a
> MickeySoft solution.       [ ..... ]

aptitude install privoxy

Nice tool .... I think it's predecessor was the Junkbuster proxy ...

One can change the User Agent variable for a browser via privoxy being
connected to a browser.

So with privoxy installed what one can do is this: Writing something
like this to
/etc/privoxy/user.action
------------------------
{ \
+hide-user-agent{Mozilla/4.77 [en] (Macintosh; N; PPC; ja) Gecko/250901 LousyBrowserSystems/1.0 (DinoOrg, Inc.)} \
}
.junkbusters.com/cgi-bin.
--------------------------

after this:
/etc/init.d/privoxy restart

and then going to
<http://www.junkbusters.com/cgi-bin/privacy>
which is a browser-check page, the new User Agent should be shown on
that page. If not checking something like
/var/log/privoxy/errorfile
/var/log/privoxy/logfile
might help.

With the settings above only sites along the URL
www.junkbusters.com/cgi-bin/
will see the changed User Agent: All other sites outside this URL should
see the real, unchanged User Agent info.

And now if you change in
------------------------
{ \
+hide-user-agent{Foobrowser/4.77 [en] (OtherOS; N; PPC; ja) Gecko/250901 LousyBrowserSystems/1.0 (DinoOrg, Inc.)} \
}
.junkbusters.com/cgi-bin.
--------------------------

the line
.junkbusters.com/cgi-bin.
to a simple slash, being the only character on the line, like this:
/
all sites will think the browser is like
LousyBrowserSystems/1.0 (DinoOrg, Inc)

And the whole thing is wonderfully documented.

And just in case some Linux high priests perhaps suspect now that I
might recommend all this from above for doing at home, thus driving the
overall Linux ratings via some faked browser settings to zero: No,
Ladies and Gentlemen: I never ever would do this, and I swear I have
never ever faked my user-agent, and No: I never do it and I also shall
never do it. Ever. Promise.

All the above was just a theoretical discussion, never meant to be
implemented for reality.

So "Don't do this at home, kids", as Ray Cokes once, in other
circumstances, IIRC, put it ...

HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang