Re: Linux vs Mac OS 10.3(Panther)

El mié, 12-05-2004 a las 23:06, -0400, Derrik Pates escribió:
> Henning Follmann wrote:
> > Don't 100% accurate. The Darwin kernel comes with a BSD licence and can be considered free. Also a lot of tools are the usual suspects: Apache, Postfix, Perl, etc. All free (as in speech).
> > The GUI part is proprietary though.
>
> Last I knew the Darwin base was _not_ under the BSD license, but was
> relicensed from the BSD license to Apple's APSL license (which is
> considerably more restrictive).

I don't think MacOSX could be called free because its base is the UI
(nonfree), but latest APSL is 100% Free Software, from FSF website:

The Apple Public Source License (APSL), version 2.
        This is a free software license, incompatible with the GNU GPL.
        We recommend that you not use this license for new software that
        you write, but it is ok to use and improve the software released
        under this license.

It's true, it's more restrictive but it's still free (I know you don't
claim it's nonfree, it's just I want to to clarify it ).

Cheers.