Re: Pre-Beginner's post (convince me)

hi eric...

* "Eric D. Hedekar" <ericdhedekar@shaw.ca> [2004-05-12 10:16 +0200]:
> Hi, I'm completely new to linux and I'm trying to bring some sense of
> clarity to it all.  I want to run a dual boot system with OS9 and Linux on
> my Umax S900 (oldworld mac clone).  The main purpose of my work on the
> computer is audio applications however I may/will want to setup a network
> and/or computer farm that involves old and new world macs and PC machines.
>
> What I'm wondering is which distribution of Linux to install.  I realize
> that to each their own, but due to the overwhelming technical documentation
> and the lack of spare time that I have lying around I would like some help.
> Can someone point out the best reasons to go with say YellowDog, Mandrake,
> Gentoo, or Debian?  What are the faults of each of these?  I realize that
> pretty much everyone on this list will be running Debian and to tell the
> truth that's the one I'm favoring despite the seriously technical
> installation process, but could you please attempt to be unbiased if at all
> possible.

all my non-debian experiences are for x86...

- yellow dog:
   dunno

- gentoo:
   if you are planning to update software often, you should be aware
   that compiling your whole distribution might take ages (especially on
   an oldworld mac). the performance gains seem small to me, a 3D
   application i ran (neverwinter nights) on a PC did not show any
   improvements on gentoo over debian. though they might be better on
   your oldworld machine, given gcc knows how to optimize it. :)
   the learning curve is imho steep, though experienced computer users
   should not have a problem.

- mandrake:
   on x86: nice for beginners, but i only have experiences with
   installing it (9.2), not really using. i was annoyed when i was told to
   re-install the whole system, because i did not install all necessary
   languages at the very beginning (a mandrake developer
   recommended this to me after i tried to add support for more
   languages unsuccessfully).

- debian:
   much to learn, good to update, current software if you stick to the
   "testing" branch.

> Or if you know of a site that compares Distros that is kept up to
> date that would be much apreciated as well.  Thanks.

perhaps http://www.distrowatch.com/ can help.

hth,
 sebastian
--