ibook g3 config

I've installed Debian on a 500Mhz G3 iBook. For the most part everything is working but I have a couple of problems I haven't been able to adequately resolve that maybe somebody can help with.

I can't get my fonts to look right in X11/Gnome. Most fonts are either much too large or illegible and appear to be too wide/ not tall enough, like they've been squashed. Based on some Googling I've edited /etc/X11/fs/config to use 75dpi instead of 100dpi and I've disabled anti-aliasing for smaller fonts < 10. Emacs no longer takes up half the screen and is quite usable but most other apps still look terrible.

Sleep doesn't work. The display dims after awhile and the backlight turns off eventually. The backlight also turns off if I push the power button, but the machine never actually goes to sleep. The pulsing sleep light doesn't come on and even when it looks like it's sleeping I can still access it remotely so I knows it's not asleep. I suspect there's a package I need to install or configure that I've missed.

I was previously running YDL 3.01 on this machine and this stuff all worked so I know it's possible. Unfortunately it worked straight after installing and didn't need to be configured so I have no idea where to look.