Re: ppc64 port

On Sun, 02 May 2004 09:45:12 +0000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

>> > It doesn't have _major_ drawbacks, but it's probably better at this
>> > point do a biarch yes.
>>
>> How can it possibly be considered better when there is presently no support
>> in the packaging toolchain and no workable design has been proposed?
>
> How is amd64 doing ? You don't have biarch working for that ? Regardless
> of biarch or not, ppc64 will require both gcc and glibc to be more recent
> than the current unstable 3.3. (Which is a good thing imho, getting stuck
> with no TLS and NPTL on ppc32 is a major pain)

actually since qemu reached a quite usable state(*) already it would even
make sence to have more than one/two/... architectures installed.

> Ben

(*) I could run the x86 linux acroread binary (even print etc)... and was
almost able to finish a win2k install (it stopped in the middle of the
hardware detection)