Re: 2.6 kernel .config for b&w g3?

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 06:10:39PM -0400, Derrik Pates wrote:
> Matt Price wrote:
> >anyone out there have a working .config for a 2.6 kernel (I have the
> >latest benh trees, but I guess I can get other trees elsewhere) on a
> >blue and white g3?  When I try to run mine I get shunted into
> >openfirmware, so I ca't even diagnose what's going on.
>
> Mine is attached. It makes USB, Ethernet, FireWire, audio, DRI and
> everything else on the system function. The system in question is
> running 2.6.5 (vanilla, from kernel.org), and works just fine.

Thanks Derrik, it's busy compiling (with one change to the scsi part
-- my root partition is on /dev/sda), should be ready... sometime.
Meanwhile I've been hunting around a bit on google and it seems my
problem is well-known -- I get dumped into a white OpenFirmware screen
which, unfortunately, is actually just frozen.  Various postings
indicate that this is a problem with yaboot, or more specifically
ofpath, which I guess doesn't support 2.6 kernels very well.

I see that a new versio nof yaboot has just been released.  but I hate
to install a non-debian version of something so important.  I haven't
seen the workaround described in any detail.  Can anyone describe to
me what I ought to do, short of using a non-debian yaboot -- and maybe
explain what exactly the problem is?

Anyway, I'm hoping this works out.  Thanks,
matt