Re: getting started on a G5

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 12:17:27AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 12:34:16AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> > Brian writes:
> > > I don't know which ISO to use.
> >
> > On the G5, you need to use the flavour called power4 instead of powerpc.
>
> The monolithic image Brian mentioned is powerpc only, at least for now;
> it could be produced for the other flavours without much trouble, but
> really monolithic is there for development testing purposes and I'd
> suggest using a businesscard or netinst image (from
> http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/?) instead.

Notice that hopefully i fixed the power4 kernel to not loop on G5
anymore three days ago, and on friday Colin Watson made the upload of
the linux-kernel-di, which means that as of yesterdays daily built the
kernel should be in. Furthermore, i am not entirely sure, but this also
means that the daily built CD images, as of today or maybe tomorrow,
should include this kernel, and the needed yaboot fix to make it work on
powerpc.

So i would go to :

  http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/daily/powerpc/current/sarge-powerpc-netinst.iso

download the iso, burn it, and boot from it (holing the 'c' key ?). And
at the yaboot prompt, choose the install_power4 (or maybe just power4
too), and let the installation guide you.

Please do that, and report any misfunction you may notice, preferably as
an installation-report bug report found here :

  http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template

Friendly,

Sven Luther