building ide as modules

Hi,

in an attempt to reduce the size of the 2.6 powerpc kernel (such that
it will fit into the tftp buffer of yaboot in Debian), I've tried to
chuck as many things as possible out of the kernel proper into an
initrd.  So far so good.  It turns out that one cannot build the
complete ide subsystem as modules, because the pmac ide driver relies
on a number of symbols and must itself be built into the kernel.

Can anybody tell me why this driver is not available as a module, and
whether this can be easily changed?

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!